Monday, July 13, 2015

Blackberry Lavendar Ice Cream

Back in the spring Dwight and I with our friend, Michelle, and her daughter did the annual farm tour in our area.  A new farm for us was on the tour.  Larry and Lee Newlin began Peaceful River Farm  about 5 years ago on the bank of the Haw River.  Here's a link to them:  peacefulriverfarm.com.  We loved what we saw there.  Lee does dinners and cooking classes.  Michelle and I signed up for a class on Asian stir fry in June.  It was fantastic, and I learned a lot.

The dessert that concluded our class was Coconut Basil Ice Cream:


This ice cream was delicious and easy.  I made some at home and took it on a beach trip with Jody and Sonia and her dad.  Sonia really like it and wondered about the possibility of blackberries with the coconut milk.

Flash forward...it's Sonia's birthday and we have blackberries.  I had to try to make her some ice cream.  I also had some lavender and thought that might be a good combination.  We picked about
1 1/2 cups of blackberries.  I picked a couple of dried lavender sprigs from my plant and blanched the buds from the stems (about 1T.)  following the instructions for basil, boiling and then moving them to ice water.  So I followed this exact recipe (I doubled it), minus the basil, with blackberries and lavender.  It turned out pretty well.

I think my next experiment will be blueberries and lemon verbena.

This is fun.

The tomatoes are waiting attention!

No comments: